This page describes the applied research carried out by the Department of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (Institute of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, Polytechnical University).
Nuclear Power Engineering
Researches for the nuclear industry are held in USTC "Technical diagnostics and reliability of nuclear and thermal power plants", headed by Yuri Yevgenyevich Karyakin, Professor of the Department of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics.
Resonance Enhanced Drilling, RED
The Department of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics and The University of Aberdeen have been collaborating on the topic of rock massif destruction under the action of resonance drilling since 1999. Read more...
- Vibrations of the moving parts of the aircraft
- Dynamics of multiphase flows
- Cleaning of metal surfaces by a vacuum arc
- Arc discharges
- Motions of athletes
Oil and Gas
Employees of the Department of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics conducted research for the leading oilfield services companies in the following areas:
- Simulation of hydraulic fracturing and related technological and geomechanical processes
- Studying of the dynamics of proppant in hydraulic fracturing
- Studying of the rheological properties of multiphase mixtures
Equipment for 3D-filming
Employees of the Department of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics developed an original technique of modeling the formation and development of cracks in solids, based on the method of particle dynamics. This method was used to describe such processes as:
- Percussive drilling
- Spall fracture
- Hydraulic fracturing
- Punching of a deformable barrier with a striker
- Formation and development of fatigue cracks
Key publications on this topics are provided here.
The Department of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics in association with AlpineReplay ltd. (USA) are developing sensors, software and mobile applications for use in extreme sports (snowboarding, skateboarding, skiing, surfing, etc.).
Partners and customers
The following Russian and foreign companies are the partners and customers of the department:
- Sandia National Laboratories
- JORIS IDE
- ООО ФПК "Космос-Нефть-Газ" (Financial & Industrial Company KOSMOS-NEFT-GAS)
- Конструкторское Бюро Химавтоматики (OSC «Konstruktorskoe Buro Khimavtomatiky»)
- Photomechanics Ltd.
- Radar MMS
- Factoria LS
- Research & Engineering Corporation Mechanobr-Tekhnika
- IPME RAS
- WHO National Research Institute of Influenza
Order a research
To order a research, please contact Vitaly Andreyevich Kuz'kin, the Deputy Head for Research Affairs.
Tel.: +7 906 252 25 54
Email: kuzkinva at gmail.com